Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tracking Our Progress - #2

I haven't posted in a couple days, I've been a bit preoccupied with things. Still looking for my grandfather's fountain pen, if you're wondering. I'm discouraged by my luck so far and I think I'll have to widen my search area. You know how they say a butterfly can flap its wings here and cause a hurricane in Asia? Small things can travel a long way sometimes. Those two things really aren't that similar. I'm not even sure why I tried to make that comparison. I guess it's not that bad, though.

So, something happened to me earlier tonight. I walked out of the apartment and was headed down the street to the convenience store to pick up some milk. There's this cute girl who works there, and I usually go out of my way to do milk runs when I know she's working. I forget her name, and I know she really doesn't notice me, but she's nice. Anyway, she usually works late, so that's when I go. Usually I get my errands done without much incident, but before I got far at all, I got accosted by a homeless man. There isn't a big problem in Rochester as long as you stay out of the abandoned subway, but they're around. I'd seen him before, and he seemed harmless, so I didn't think it would be a problem to ignore his solicitations. That didn't turn out to be correct.

He took a swing at me with his "will work for food" sign. Ironic, because it was the most actual effort I'd ever seen him make for a reward. He hit me, but since it was cardboard, that didn't bother me too much. He started chanting something, I don't remember what it was. It sounded like Latin. It actually sounded kinda creepy, thinking about it. Although it could just be my crappy memory enhancing it. I was trying to fend him off, but then he pulled out this weird looking knife and I got a little scared. I took several quick steps back, and lucky too, because it was then that a big rig came flying by and totally creamed the homeless guy. The driver stopped, about five seconds too late, and an ambulance came afterward and peeled him off the truck's grill. After they left, I looked around for the knife, but it was dark and I couldn't find it. After that I got the milk, failed to muster up the courage to talk to that girl, and went home.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about the reason I named the post the way I did. Earlier today, before the whole hobo thing, I was thinking about the blog and thought of a great way to keep track of everything that happens to us. Google Maps! You probably know about it, they have satellite pictures of the whole planet pretty much, with roads and businesses marked and everything. You can even make your own landmarks and stuff, and I created a map for the blog! I don't know if the other two can add to it as well, but if they can't I'll take care of it. I like working with maps. Here's the link, and I'll add it to the sidebar permanently, too.

No comments: